Thursday, June 21, 2012

So many Sasha's, so little time

So let me start by saying that just about everyone here is named the same thing. We have 6 Sasha's (short for Alexander or Alexandra), 3 Masha's (Maria), 4 Sergei's, and about a million Vanya's (Ivan). Even I fit into the name game here--they call me Natasha, which is the same name as one of the other women. It's a little fun in a sense, to see how they miraculously know exactly who someone is looking for when they yell out "Sasha! Zdes! (Sasha! Come here!)" But that's just one of the fun things I've encountered here. One of many. 

A couple of interesting things to share about life in the motherland. First, tea is the staple of society. Literally everything that goes on here somehow revolves around tea. They drink it at every meal (never cold drinks, too wimpy), they have it for breaks from working, and they invite people over to drink none other than the extremely sought-after tea. It's beautiful to see how everyone young and old can equally appreciate something so simple and yet essential. So fact two, Russians love Skyrim. You know how in the previous post I discussed the role-playing game they host every summer? Well the one in Kitezh (there's also one in Orion) is for kids aged 10 to 17, and is based on Skyrim! Who knew? And my third fact, all Russians play guitar. As I write this (it's about 9am), I can hear a group of the adults sitting around the table, playing guitar and singing. Basically, if you don't play guitar you better well be trying to learn.

Finally, I'm starting to understand how things work around here, but only just recently. Honestly, it might be a good thing that I hadn't been able to get internet until now, because if I had posted after the first day, it might have looked something like this:

"EVERYONE HERE SPEAKS RUSSIAN AND I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THEM, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" 
(Literally that on repeat in my head for the first 2 days.) Things are looking up now, though. My understanding the language is getting better (though not great), but more importantly I'm starting to learn that people here actually want me to use my English. All the kids here are learning English, and although it's summer and they aren't necessarily in class, it's still a good idea to help them practice and learn new vocab. And they get to teach me Russian words right back!


Well, here's a photo of someone with a name that's not Sasha. His name is Nikita, and he's quickly becoming one of my favorite kids here (although I must admit they're all pretty adorable). After playing football (aka soccer) on Sunday, Nikita taught me the names of all the objects on the playground. Here he is on the kacheli (swings).


No comments:

Post a Comment